Monday, July 27, 2009

Garden Tour of Yellow Flowers

I was noticing that my garden is heavily weighted toward yellow flowers. Partly because, I have let the rudbekia bully go wherever it wants; and partly because I let sunflowers pop up wherever the birds drop them. I did some research to see what is the most prevalent color for flowers in the world thinking it might be yellow and discovered that there is no real answer. No one knows or has actually studied the subject. There is speculation that green may actually be the most common flower color. There are many plants, including most trees, that bear flowers mostly green in color.

I did some research about the color thinking that it might give me some insight into my psyche. You know, what kind of person gardens 'yellow'?

Yellow is the easiest color to see; people who are blind to other colors can usually see yellow. Yellow is full of creative and intellectual energy. Yellow symbolizes wisdom. Yellow means joy and happiness. People of high intellect favor yellow. Yellow daffodils are a symbol of unrequited love. Yellow is a bright that is often described as cheery and warm. Yellow can also increase the metabolism.

Yellow is also the most fatiguing to the eye due to the high amount of light that is reflected. Using yellow as a background on paper or computer monitors can lead to eyestrain or vision loss in extreme cases. Yellow can also create feelings of frustration and anger. While it is considered a cheerful color, people are more likely to lose their tempers in yellow rooms and babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms.

Since yellow is the most visible color, it is also the most attention-getting color. Yellow can be used in small amounts to draw notice, such as on traffic sign or advertisements.

So there you have it: I am an attention-getting, jumpy, smart alec who causes babies to cry and neighbors to fight and go blind while my garden can be seen from Google Earth's satellite.

If that's not enough for you about the color yellow, go here

Enjoy my yellow but please don't cry!



Rudbeckia hirta augustifolia



Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer'



Rudbeckia hirta 'Irish Eyes'


Rudbeckia hirta 'Goldilocks'

Coreopsis


Helenium autumnale 'sneezeweed'


Sunflower


I still have pansies, sad though they are!


Squashblossom


Tomato Blossom


Gaillardia