Vermiculture or vermacomposting is the cultivation of worms, using food scraps and produce a great soil amendment. Worm castings (worm waste) contain higher levels of
nitrogen than most other organic amendments. Worms are natural soil builders and vermicomposting is a clean and efficient method to recycle otherwise wasted food.
• It reduces the volume added to the landfill.
• It requires little space, and equipment.
• Children love to help and will be amazed at how quickly the worms work.
• It is an indoor gardening project and perfectly suited for apartments or other small homes.
• It provides wonder compost for your plants.
Here are three videos produced by our Jefferson County Master Gardener Video Team showing you exactly how to do this!