Thursday, July 8, 2021

Some Plants Do Best with Neglect by Nancy Shepard

Caring and nurturing our plants is an instinctive feeling we have as gardeners. Watering, weeding, trimming, and fertilizing are front and center in our minds throughout the growing season. But that caring can sometimes go wrong, especially as we start to use more water-wise and native plants. 

Digitalis thapsis (Spanish Peaks Foxglove)  planted in hot and dry area
Photo: Nancy Shepard

Digitalis thapsii, or Spanish Peaks Foxglove is planted in two different parts of my yard. One in a south-facing, parched area near a hot brick pathway and the other in part shade within a retaining wall that gets some moisture. The plants were put in at the same time. The hot baked location is showing incredible results, while the other is struggling to survive. While it has the name Foxglove, Spanish Peaks is nothing like its cousins which need shade when the summers get hot. 

Digitalis thapsii Spanish Peaks Foxglove in part shade with moisture
Photo: Nancy Shepard

Rocky Mountain Penstemon (Penstemon x mexicali Pikes Peak Purple)
Photo: High Country Gardens
I also planted Rocky Mountain Penstemon (Penstemon x mexicali Pikes Peak Purple) in several locations around my yard and these suffered because I watered them. They grew leggy, limp and fell over. I stopped watering them and they look great now.

Nepeta x faassenii 'Walker's Low' Catmint
Photo: Nancy Shepard

One of my Nepeta catmints (Walker's Low) developed a big hole in the center and spread out flat because of too much water and the shade of a tree. The one out in the relentless sun didn't have that problem. Described as thriving in harsh conditions, this durable, rabbit and deer resistant perennial plant is an indispensable for use in xeriscapes. 

Linum perenne Blue Flax
Photo: Wikipedia

Same with Linum perenne Blue Flax. I planted both seeds and seedlings. As long as I leave these alone and skip watering them, they have continued to bloom straight and tall all spring.

I’ve had to relearn how and when to water if at all with these xeric specimens. It's been a little tricky because they are planted among perennials that need some water, but I'm getting better at it. As our summers in Colorado continue to get warmer, I'm seeing my garden with a different perspective. And hopefully my water bills will show it!