Monday, July 26, 2021

My First Attempt at Winter Sowing by Dawn Savage

Photo:  Dawn Savage


I’m not a big social media person, but I do follow a few gardeners on Instagram and You Tube.  I noticed a topic, Winter Sowing, which kept coming up.  It touted the ability to start seeds without needing indoor space, grow lights, or other specialty equipment.  The upfront costs are empty opaque gallon milk jugs, potting soil, seeds, scissors, duct tape, and some outdoor space.  Why not, I thought.   It will keep my hands busy and my mind dreaming of springtime.

A quick disclaimer.  In the dreary cold months of winter, it’s easy to go overboard.  One can be swiftly caught up in a fervor when the local garden center sells seeds 50% off.  One can easily justify an $8 bag of potting soil – several times a week.  One can find themselves hounding family, friends, and sometimes complete strangers, about the nutritional value of consuming copious amounts of milk from jugs.  “Hi Auntie!  It’s Dawn.  Just a gentle reminder to let me know when you finish your milk”.  “Hey Kris!  It’s Dawn.  Did you notice the grocery store sale – buy two boxes of cereal and get a free gallon of milk.  Call me!”

Photo:  Dawn Savage

I have Trudi Davidoff to thank for my latest obsession.  Trudi developed this particular method of seed starting and has a robust website full of information to support interested gardeners.  In addition, state extension offices across the country are sharing their wealth of knowledge on the subject.  Indiana University Northwest has an in-depth video I found super valuable as a new winter sower.  If you are looking for a quicker overview, North Carolina Extension has a series of short videos detailing the method.

After doing my research (remember to search sites with “EDU”), I gathered my materials on my kitchen counter.  

Step 1:  Thoroughly clean milk jugs with warm soapy water and air dry.  
Step 2:  Use scissors to make four drainage holes in bottom of milk jug.  
Step 3:  Cut a slit 4 inches from bottom.  Using slit as a starting point, cut the jug almost all the way around.  But stop so you have a two inch portion that still attaches the top and bottom.
Step 4:  Pre-moisten potting soil and fill to 4 inch level of jug.
Step 5:  Add seeds to soil depth recommended on seed packet.
Step 6:  Gently mist seeds with water, so not to disturb the recommended seed depth.
Step 7:  Duct tape jug to enclose bottom and top portions
Step 8:  Dispose/recycle milk jug cap.  You won’t need it for this project.
Step 9:  Place outdoors in area that is exposed to light and precipitation.
Step 10:  Check weekly to ensure soil is moist (not soggy).  Hand mist as needed.
Step 11:  Be patient as you await germination.  The milk jug greenhouse effect mimics nature.  Most seeds will erupt as they would in your garden.  

Photo:  Dawn Savage


Now to the reveal.  
Successes:
Bachelor Button
Cosmos
Foxglove
Marigold
Nasturtium
Nicotiana
Pansy
Perennial Flax
Tall Snapdragon
Zinnia
Mildly Successfully
Calendula
Orlaya
Sweet Peas
Viola
Failures (aka, room for improvement):
Alyssum
Delphiniums
Grass: Blue Gamma
Impatiens
Ornamental Cabbage
Short Snapdragons
Strawflower
Yarrow

Be sure to allow plenty of transplant time to move your growing plants from jug to garden.  I waited until the fear of frost had passed.  But honestly there was so much to plant I didn’t finish up until mid-June. 

Photo:  Dawn Savage

Happy gardening!!!