Friday, May 22, 2009

Haiku-Inspired Poems from My Garden by Gardener Dave


OLD ROTTING TRELLIS, ROSES HOLDING UP

Old rotting trellis on my garden wall
Last year’s rose canes holding it up
Why mend, when nature does so well?




TALL ORNAMENTAL GRASS SCULPTURED BY WIND
Tall, waving, bending, dancing ornamental grass
Sculptured, moving, graceful in the wind
Never exactly the same twice, much like our lives



LADY BUG CRAWLING, APHIDS NEAR - DINNER!
Lady Bug on flower stem, looking for a meal
Five aphids nearby, drinking flower’s sap
Lady thinks “My four-course dinner and dessert!”


LAST NIGHT'S STORM - LITTERED GARDEN PATH
Last night there was a storm
The garden, littered with small branches and leaves
Mother Nature tells us “I am Boss, who are you?”


NEW SPRING SHOOTS -LIFE SPRINGS ANEW!
New spring shoots in my garden
Miracle of life appearing once again
And I fool myself by thinking “Look, I did it!”


RAIN FALLS TODAY, SOON IT STOPS
Rain today, no gardening for me
So I wait for sun and gentle breeze
To make my world again accept my efforts



LAKE BELOW REFLECTS SKY AND CLOUDS
Still lake surface mirrors sky, clouds, and trees
Mother Nature knows that all her efforts
Deserve to have a backup copy made


RETIREMENT IS GOOD - GARDENING IS BETTER!
When I am old, but not too old to garden
I will make the best of leisure time
Digging, planting, caring for things growing
And letting nature have her way – sometimes!