Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Wrap up from the 2022 high altitude growing season! by CMG Ed Powers

All Photos by Ed Powers

We were OK last year - but what a growing season!  My worst since moving here in 2012.  First of all, I planted my vegetables and flowers late.  Then we were going through a dry spell which slowed down any growth. 

However, I did not let this deter me - I decided not to plant as many vegetables.  Also, we planted and bought more drought tolerant flowers.  Mainly petunias, alyssum and verbena.  Plus, my marigolds volunteered for the 4th season in a row and these along with our mixed flower pots were stunning. 

My vegetables were also a mix of seeds I had grown and bought.  But this year I only planted 2 squash (Yellow and Acorn squash), one cucumber (Straight Eight) and 2 tomatoes (Black Krim and Black Cherry). They grew and survived until November 1st because I covered them, then I moved several plants inside for the winter.  We are growing one Beefsteak tomato for the second year in a row. My garage area has been developed into an indoor garden area with large windows which let light inside from many directions.  I have moved plants to this area several times with success.

Yellow Squash & Straight Eight Cucumber

My vegetable garden produced several large Yellow squash but no Butternut squash. Several large Straight Eight cucumbers (which is a first for me since I started gardening at this altitude in this area.  My tomatoes have produced several tomatoes but they are still growing and green.  The tomatoes were started from seed and one Beefsteak tomato was over wintered this last winter in my indoor garden area.  

My flowers were a combination of plants bought, seeds started indoor and seeds started out side in early summer, and volunteers from the previous years.

                     
So, what started as a bad gardening year, ended up being one of my best years even with the reduction in the number of vegetables.  I really enjoyed watching everything grow.  In addition, my yellow and red flowered Columbine decided to double its size and produce 2 floral stocks with 4-6 flowers on each stock.  This columbine is located in the center of my prickly pear cactus. 



I also helped my wife install a drip system for her floral pots on our deck.  It worked very well and her pots survived our 18-day vacation. 



One other thing…. The vegetable plants I started from seed ended up being more prolific than the plants I bought.  So, this year I will grow and plant vegetables that I have grown from seed.