Monday, December 13, 2021

Critters in the garden? by Ed Powers

Raised pots on our Deck.  We used sonic pulse stakes in these pots
Photo: Ed Powers

Some of the critter challenges of growing vegetables and flowers at elevation.

I have had gardens in several states and done well growing both vegetables and flowers.  Until I moved to Colorado, I grew my plants at or below sea level.  Elevation in Colorado is very different because of lower humidity, more direct sun and the mountain weather patterns. Also, the wildlife creates havoc with gardens and vegetables.  I deal with deer, elk, rabbits, voles, mice, pack rats, chipmunks, and ground squirrels to name a few that love my gardens.  My first 3 years gardening were a disaster.
I did a lot of research to solve my challenges.  I first built 3 raised gardens 7 inches high.  I filled them with a mixture of native soil to my area and bagged garden soil.  I then made a domed roof with plastic conduit.  I cover them with bird netting and in early spring and late summer I cover them with white garden cloth.  That worked for 2 years and seemed to prevent varmint damage and I had great flowers and okay vegetables.  


Sonic pulse stake in raised garden with root vegetables
Photo: Ed Powers


A raised potted tomato was placed in an area where it was difficult to grow much
Photo: Ed Powers

But 3 Years ago, I noticed that my gardens were being eaten again by voles, rabbits and mice.  Back to research!  I found an article on a product called a solar powered rodent repellent.  Several companies sell these under different names but all are solar powered varmint repellents.

Sonic pulse stakes used in gardens
Photo: Ed Powers

It uses state-of-the-art technology and chases away many types of varmints.  It generates a sonic pulse that penetrates the soil and can be heard above ground.  Most rotate every 30 to 33 seconds and pulses from 2-3 seconds.  They are waterproof but must be pulled before cold weather sets in.  

The device is environmentally friendly as it eliminates the need for poisons and traps keeping people and pets safe. It can radiate in all directions and can be heard and felt by a number of rodents that live above and underground.   The first 2 weeks we saw some activity but no damage to our plants.  The varmints I saw seemed to be confused and ran away from our gardens.

The results have been amazing. I had great vegetable and flower gardens. The critters the pulse does not affect are deer and elk.  I am doing research to see what I can do to change that.

Maybe a solar powered rodent repellent device for your favorite gardener this Christmas?