Monday, June 29, 2020

My Square Foot Garden Venture by Belinda Ostermiller


Photo: Belinda Ostermiller
Inspired by recent Colorado Master Gardener classes, I decided now is a good time to try my hand at vegetable gardening - not that I haven't grown the odd tomato or lettuce before. This time something a little more adventurous was in order.

Sharing a relatively small space with an overabundance of rabbits has been quite challenging to say the least and has discouraged me from creating a true cottage garden. A two-foot wide border surrounds the patio, which is primarily what I refer to as my kitchen garden. This is where I grow herbs, blackcurrants, gooseberries, and rhubarb (none of which appeal to rabbits).

Having checked out Mel Bartholomew's book All New Square Foot Gardening and using the CSU Extension garden notes on growing vegetables, I had an idea of how to incorporate vegetables without sacrificing existing growing space.

What I needed was a small-scale raised bed. It didn't take long to find what I was looking for: a 4' by 2' wood cold frame equipped with a transparent lid-perfect for growing vegetables from seed in Colorado's colder climate. I decided on 8 cold season vegetables that I knew my family would be keen on eating: romaine lettuce, carrots, kale, loose leaf lettuce, spring onions, arugula, radish and beetroot.
Photo: Belinda Ostermiller
 Where to place the cold frame was fairly simple- south facing up next to the house. This would provide plenty of sunlight for seed germination, as well as close proximity to water. Removing the existing rock, I dug out the 4' by 2' space needed to place the raised bed on, added soil and divided the bed into 8 squares- each approximately a square foot in size.

To determine how many seeds to plant for each particular crop, I drew a layout on paper based on square foot or block style gardening. Seed packages provide helpful information on the back of the envelope, including depth at which to plant specific seeds. This is very important to follow closely. Keeping the soil moist for germination, I kept a close eye out for any signs of life.

In the next several days and weeks, seeds began to sprout and grow. I used the cold frame lid to cover seedlings from any unexpected frost that tends to occur this time of year. As spring weather warmed up, mulch was needed to retain moisture and prevent tender plants from drying out. Untreated grass clippings applied in a light layer worked well. I also provided shade from intense afternoon sun by using window screen fabric over chicken wire.
Photo: Belinda Ostermiller
For the most part, all but a few vegetables sprouted, kale was not successful but no doubt I will try again. Although my vegetable bed is small, it's a good start for now and I can take pleasure in growing food for family and friends.

Garden Notes:  

Disclaimer:  Jefferson County Master Gardener does not endorse any commercial products.  Mention of products in articles, photographs, or videos does not mean endorsement.